1. Plan well in advance: Give yourself enough time (3-4 weeks) to plan the event and invite guests.
2. Recruit a sponsor who can get more exposure for their generosity. They can pay for refreshments for example. Give them a table so they can have brochures and business cards available to your guests.
3. Choose the right venue: Select a venue that is appropriate for the type of event you want to have. Plan for about 40 people.
4. Create a guest list: Invite friends, family, media contacts, politicians, and other important people to your book launch party. Have an RSVP contact number. Follow up with your guests.
5. Consider holding a fundraiser to compliment the theme of your book. Offer to donate a portion of your sales to a charity. Take a collection. Set up an online donation page.
6. Promote the event: use social media and other marketing channels to promote your book launch party. Make posters and send them out.
7. Enlist people to: take photos, take a video, help with other tasks as needed.
8. Offer refreshments: Provide snacks and drinks for your guests to enjoy. Your sponsor can pay for this!
9. Greet people as they arrive. Let them know how much you appreciate them.
10. Prepare a presentation and tell your guests about your book. Provide a Powerpoint presentation with visuals to make it more interesting. Present some background on your book and read some passages. Let your guests know what inspired you. Aim for 20-30 minutes or so. Leave time for questions!
11. Make it interactive: Encourage guests to engage with the book’s topic by having activities or discussions related to the book’s theme.
12. Provide door prizes. Everyone likes to win something!
13. Have copies of the book available for purchase: Make sure to have copies of your book available for purchase at the event, so guests can take home a copy. Prepare to sign the books, too!
14. Prepare a small flyer as a takeaway if they aren’t ready to buy the book or want to bring back information to someone else.
15. Share your news on social media (photos, videos).
16. Thank your guests: Show your appreciation to the guests who attended your book launch party by sending thank-you notes or other small gestures.
17. Follow up with media contacts and guests after the event to thank them for attending and see if they have any feedback or opportunities for future promotion.
Angela G. Gentile, MSW, RSW
Made with the help of ChatGPT.