Angela G. Gentile, MSW RSW
“Are your services covered?”
I get this question asked many times. If you are in Manitoba and would like to claim the expenses for my Social Work services, please take note of the following options:
1. Group Health Insurance Plans (Check to see if your plan covers “Social Worker”)
- Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan has included social work coverage since 2014. You pay me for the service, then I give you a receipt which will include my name, credentials, and my social worker registration number. You submit to Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan for reimbursement (Johnston Group).
- Empire Life – I am a registered provider
- Great West Life may provide some coverage for the services of a social worker. See Comprehensive Healthcare Plans.
- Green Shield Canada (GSC) – I am a registered provider
- Manitoba Blue Cross – I am a registered provider. Check out the Counselling Services information for EAP and IAP. The website states, “Counselling services are available to those who have Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or Individual Assistance Program (IAP) coverage with Manitoba Blue Cross. If you are unsure of your coverage, visit your mybluecross online account to confirm.”
- Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) – I am a registered provider. This service is covered under the “Fatality Claims – Grief Counselling” provision.
- Manulife – Some plans cover social workers, so check your plan. If your plan does include social worker, then you pay for the service, get a receipt with the social worker’s name, credentials, and registration number and submit to Manulife for reimbursement.
- Sun Life Financial Health Insurance and coverage – I am registered with the Sun Life Lumino Health Network
- SSQ Insurance – I am a registered provider
2. Indigenous Services Canada – First Nations and Inuit Health Branch Mental Health Counselling Services
- First Nations Inuit Health Branch – Non-Insured Health Benefit (NIHB) Mental Health Counselling Services and the Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Programs (IRS RHSP) – I am a registered to provide services (free of charge) to those who qualify. This therapy is provided by funding through Indigenous Services Canada.
3. Manitoba Government Employees Health Spending Account
If you have a Health Spending Account through Manitoba Blue Cross, please see the following from the government website:
“A Health Spending Account can be easily compared to a bank account. The Province
of Manitoba deposits a pre-determined amount of benefit dollars into your account.
These benefit dollars can be used to top-off existing benefit maximums, or to pay for
any medical expenses you incur which meet the requirements for the medical expense
credit as defined by Canada Revenue Agency, for anyone for whom you claim a tax
deduction in accordance with the Income Tax Act (Canada).”
4. Medical Expenses on Income Tax Through Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)
You may be able to claim the therapy on the CRA Income Tax Form, Line 330 – Medical Expenses for Self, Spouse or Common-Law Partner, and your Dependent Children. Social workers are on their list of approved qualified medical practitioners for almost all provinces.
Therapy is listed as an eligible medical expense by the CRA. The following is from their website:
“Therapy – the salary and wages paid for the therapy given to a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC). The person giving the therapy must not be your spouse or common-law partner and must be 18 years of age or older when the amounts are paid.
The therapy has to be prescribed and supervised by one of the following practitioners:
- a psychologist, a medical doctor, or a nurse practitioner (for expenses incurred after September 7, 2017) for a mental impairment
- an occupational therapist, a medical doctor, or a nurse practitioner (for expenses incurred after September 7, 2017) for a physical impairment
For more information about the DTC, see Guide RC4064, Disability-Related Information.”
Canada Revenue Agency (for Manitoba): 1-800-267-6999.
Manitoba Blue Cross: (204) 775-0151
Clarify your eligibility for coverage prior to our first session. If you need any help finding out if you have coverage, please let me know.
Manitoba Blue Cross Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.mb.bluecross.ca/faq
Medical Expenses (2020), Canada Revenue Agency
Social Work Services and Third Party Payments – Canadian Association of Social Workers
One thought on “Are Social Work Counselling Therapy Services Covered?”
Reblogged this on DementiaTalk.