When you feel bored, there are several activities you can consider to help alleviate boredom and make the most of your time. Most you can do on your own, some require a willing participant. Here are some suggestions (a few overlap!):
1. Pursue a hobby: Engage in activities that you enjoy and are passionate about. It could be painting, playing a musical instrument, crafts, making jewelry, writing, photography, gardening, or any other hobby that interests you.
2. Read a book: Pick up a book that you’ve been meaning to read or explore different genres to discover new authors and stories. Reading not only entertains but also expands your knowledge and imagination.
3. Exercise or engage in physical activity: Physical exercise is a great way to combat boredom while improving your health and well-being. Go for a walk, run, cycle, or try out a new yoga or workout routine.
4. Learn something new: Use your free time to acquire new skills or knowledge. You can explore online courses, tutorials, or educational platforms to learn about a subject you’re interested in, such as cooking, brain health, coding, photography, or a foreign language.
5. Engage in creative activities: Get creative by drawing, painting, writing stories or poems, crafting, or working on DIY projects. Expressing your creativity can be fulfilling and help pass the time in an enjoyable way.
6. Connect with others: Reach out to friends or family members, either in person or through a phone call or video chat. Go shopping and speak to other shoppers or store employees. Engaging in conversations and social interactions can help alleviate boredom and foster connections.
7. Explore new music, movies, or TV shows: Discover new artists, genres, or movies and TV shows that you haven’t explored before. You can use streaming platforms or online recommendations to find content that suits your interests.
8. Organize and declutter: Use the opportunity to tidy up your living space, organize your belongings, or declutter areas that need attention. It can be a productive way to spend your time and create a more organized environment.
9. Play games or solve puzzles: Engage in activities that challenge your mind, such as solving puzzles, playing board games, or trying out online games. They can be entertaining and mentally stimulating.
10. Volunteer or help others: Look for opportunities to contribute to your community or help others in need. Volunteer at a local charity, participate in community events, or assist friends or neighbors with tasks they may need help with.
Remember, the key is to find activities that align with your interests and bring you joy. Experiment with different options to discover what engages you the most and helps alleviate your boredom.
What other suggestions do you have?
Angela G. Gentile, MSW, RSW
Written with the help of ChatGPT